birding-aus

Broad Billed Sandpiper - WTP, VIC

To: "'Russell Woodford'" <>
Subject: Broad Billed Sandpiper - WTP, VIC
From: "Martin Woodward" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:02:23 +1100
Hi Russell,

There weren’t many waders at the rocky point itself, being 4 Little Tern which
I clearly identified with the scope, and about 10 Crested Tern. However the
tide was low at the time (about 1pm), so there were about 150 Red Necked Stints
feeding along the adjacent shoreline. We looked closely at all the RNS’s with
both binoculars and scope but couldn’t find the Broad Billed Sandpiper.

It was later on (about 4.30pm) as the tide was coming in, when we saw the BBS
with the scope at the T lagoons. At the time it was resting and preening itself
in a sheltered part of the pond, before it moved off to feed casually near some
Sharp Tailed Sandpipers, so your theory about some shoreline feeders resting in
the nearby lagoons could be correct.

From previous reports and the birders I spoke to on Sunday, the BBS’s have been
located at different sites over the past weeks but all within a narrow band
between the bird hide and the T section lagoons.

Regards Martin