birding-aus

Vietnam?

Subject: Vietnam?
From: David Bishop <>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:09:14 +1100
Vietnam is a wonderful country for birding. In my experience, based on the many
tours that I have had the privilege to lead to that country, it is still quite
'birdy' especially at the right time of year and in the better protected areas.
For me one of the most striking features is how things have improved in recent
years. For example, now within a protected areas such as Nam Cat Tien National
it is usually easy to see Siamese Firebacks (note plural) along the main road
through the forest; the endangered Green peafowl appears to be substantially on
the increase (or at least they are more confiding and thus more visible) along
with Gaur in the same habitat. Hornbills, Gibbons, Black-shanked Douc Langur,
Bar-bellied Pitta and hordes of parakeets - almost absent now in Thailand!
Admittedly things are not perfect but with the exception of Bhutan where are
they? Yes there is illegal trapping, hunting and logging BUT more people are
becoming aware of their exciting natural heritage and new areas such as in the
Komton province for the endemic Chestnut-eared Laughingthrush and Black-crowned
Barwing still has extensive forests oozing with birds, many of them exciting
and little known. Playback is a useful tool but can be overdone by the
inexperienced, however, in my opinion sure beats trampling the habitat to dig
out a particular bird. The Vietnamese guides that I know are exceptional
all-round naturalists and very professional. I'll be back there later in the
year and I for one cannot wait!

David

David Bishop Bird Tours
K David Bishop