birding-aus

Scientific names

To: Martin Cake <>, Dave Torr <>
Subject: Scientific names
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 02:53:38 -0800 (PST)
Hi Martin,

Firstly, no, basalis (masc), basalis (fem), basale (neutr) is an adjective of
the 3rd declension (aka 'i declension'). Thus, it can only be nominative or
genitive singular. Ablative plural would be 'basalibus'. So, in case the genus
name switches to a neuter name 'basalis' would switch to 'basale' (nominative
singular neuter). Yeah, finally I can say that Latin as my second language (as
opposed to English as my third language) was not a waste ;-)

Secondly, I think you are right regarding type and nominate. But there are
examples where the English name doesn't remain with the nominate name (e.g.
Scopoli's Shearwater C. diomedea, Cory's Shearwater C. borealis).

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Brisbane, QLD