birding-aus

Caspian Tern, Vic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Caspian Tern, Vic
From: Jenny Spry <>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:13:50 +1100
Last Saturday (1/3) I went down to find the affinis Gull-billed Tern and
saw it as it came in to bathe and rest with the other GBTs.

There were also a lot of Cabbage White Butterflies in the area, both over
the water and land. As we were watching the many Caspian Terns flying over
the mud flats a butterfly came close to a Caspian Tern and the tern changed
direction a bit and ate the butterfly. It was a very casual attack and
seemed to be more opportunistic than a regular food item. No other terns
seemed interested in the butterflies and I think, in this instance, one
just came so close the offer could not be refused.

On the mudflats to the east of Stockyard Point there was a large group of
Far East Curlew and a count showed there was at least 180.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/