birding-aus

WTNT in SW Slopes NSW

To: "" <>
Subject: WTNT in SW Slopes NSW
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 17:44:22 +1100
Persistent drizzle yesterday terimnated my banding trip at Weddin Mountains
(near Grenfell) yesterday. However it dd give me the opportunity to make a
number of sightings of White-throated Needletails as follows:
Saturday 1/3
Holy Camp, NE Weddin Mountains NP (west of Grenfell) - Approx 90 seen at about
1330 initially circling at medium altitudes before quickly drifting off to the
east. It was near the end of a break in the weather (about 1/5 hours of little
rain) which was soon replaced by the heaviest rain of the day.
Approx 10km South of Tarcutta on the Hume Highway (south of Tarcutta Hills
Reserve) - at least 50 birds soaring very low (to within a couple of feet of
the ground to treetop height) at about 1830 - may have been more but difficult
to estimate at 110km/h. Weather was light rain but it wasn't long before we
drove into very heavy rain north of Holbrook
Sunday 2/3
Wonga Wetlands, Albury (though almost certyainly over Victoria in the south).
About 120 birds circling very high (many in pairs) at 1715 before disappearing
(very distant and may have been moreto the south). Weather was sunny with some
scattered clouds (quite humid).
Not certain how much longer they will be a bout, but nice to see them on the
way back again.
Cheers,
Peter