birding-aus

Fw: Christmas Island Unknown Heron Identification

To: "Nikolas Haass" <>, <>
Subject: Fw: Christmas Island Unknown Heron Identification
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:08:15 +1100
I also thought Striated Heron on my first glance and that is still my opinion so I agree with David. I reckon that a Yellow Bittern with such well marked stripes on the neck would be too young to show a black crown like that. I was with others on Christmas Island in January and we saw a Striated Heron near that spot, at the Cove at the Resort. However, at the start of the track to the Blowholes we also flushed a small bittern-type bird and secured very poor flight photos. We were very puzzled as to its ID so followed it but after a second flight didn't see it again. It was a dark bird and I was hoping it might be a Schrenck's Bittern but in the end decided from the photos that it was most likely another Striated Heron.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136