birding-aus

Eaglehawk Neck Pelagic 10th February, 2014

To: Birding Aus Aus <>
Subject: Eaglehawk Neck Pelagic 10th February, 2014
From: Robert Hamilton <>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 07:05:00 +1100
Hi everyone,

Here is  the report from the Eaglehawk Neck pelagic of 10th February, 2014. My
photos are in the link below.

http://birdsnmore.smugmug.com/Eaglehawk-Neck-Pelagics/Eaglehawkneck-Pelagic-10Feb201/

Rob Hamilton
Margate, Tasmania

EAGLEHAWK NECK PELAGIC MONDAY 10TH FEBRUARY, 2014

Participants: Phil and Linda Cross, Bob James, Sandra Harding, Karen Dick, Els
Wakefield, Mona Loofs Samorzewski, Timothy Collins ,Rob Hamilton. Trip
organized by Paul Brooks.

Boat: The Pauletta skippered by John Males.

We left Pirates Bay at 7am, the day after a storm, which produced winds up to
130km per hour in southeast Tasmania. Wind was light and variable until about
11am when it strengthened to 10-20 knots from the SSW, gusting to 30 knots.
(Details from BOM Tasman Island records). Swell was generally less than 1 metre
with 1-2 metre wind waves.

Soon after leaving Pirates Bay we encountered our first Shy Albatross with two
or three following us to the Hippolytes. There were the usual Black-faced
Cormorants flying between the Hippolytes and the shore and one or two
Australasian Gannet. There were large numbers of these two species roosting on
both Hippolyte rocks as well as Crested Tern roosting on the smaller rock. 20
or so Australian Fur Seals were lounging on the rocks and an occasional one was
seen at sea.
>From the Hippolytes we headed east towards the continental shelf and soon
>started to see a few Short-tailed Shearwater which were mostly distant, and in
>smaller numbers than usually encountered at this time of the year. We had a
>short visit from a small group of Common Dolphin.

By about 8.30am we started to burley and immediately attracted good numbers of
White-faced and Grey-backed Storm Petrel, which stayed with us for most of the
day. They came very close to the stern of the boat at times, often passing
within 3 metres.There were often upward of 15 mixed species present at one time
with their activity making accurate counts very difficult.  We attracted a
crowd of Shy and Bullers Albatross as well as White-chinned Petrel. Small
numbers of Wandering Albatross and Black-browed visited, as did a single
Northern Royal and Salvin’s Albatross.  A single small Shearwater settled in
the slick close to the boat and added much excitement and discussion on the
boat and later that evening. Its identity was eventually settled, thanks to
Rohan Clarke, as a young Fluttering Shearwater. A second bird with slightly
different markings, settled later in the slick.

 We stayed at the initial spot -43.130012,  148.270286, until about 11am when
we moved about 5km north and from there drifted about 5km east of the shelf. We
continued to see good numbers of Storm Petrel as we travelled and had our first
Wilson’s  Storm Petrel while moving, as well as a single pass of a White-headed
Petrel.

As we approached the proposed second burley point a shout of whales went out
and we were treated to several small whales which surfaced only a couple of
times, but appeared long enough to allow some good photo opportunities.  Their
contrasting cream bulbous heads and grey bodies were an exceptional sight. It
was exciting to have them later identified, from our photos, as Shepherd’s
Beaked Whales, representing the 4th reported live sighting of this rare species.
We again had a crowd of Storm Petrel once the burley started again, with more
Wilson’s turning up. A second very obliging White-headed Petrel made several
very close passes to the boat giving everyone very good views. Shy, Bullers and
an occasional Wandering Albatross stayed near the boat as did a number of
White-chinned Petrel.

We started the return journey at around 1.15pm. Some larger groups of
Short-tailed Shearwater, including a small raft were seen on the way in as well
as a few Common Dolphin. We arrived back in Pirates Bay soon after 3pm.
Mammal Species:
Australian Fur Seal  c. 20  Hippolytes , 1 or 2 at sea
Short-beaked Common Dolphin c. 10 in 2 visits to the boat
Shepherd’s Beaked Whale  c. 3
Bird Species:

Wandering-type Albatross: 6 (2) Gibson’s and young birds.
Northern Royal Albatross: 1 (1)

Black-browed Albatross: 3 (1)

Shy Albatross: c. 40 (15)

Buller’s Albatross: c. 25 (12)

Salvin’s Albatross: 1 (1)

Fairy Prion: 10 (2)

White-headed Petrel: 2 (1)

White-chinned Petrel: 15 (6)

Sooty Shearwater: 6 (1)

Short-tailed Shearwater: 1000 (200)

Fluttering Shearwater: 2 (1)

Grey-backed Storm Petrel: c. 40 (6)

White-faced Storm Petrel: c. 60 (9)

Wilson’s Storm Petrel: 8 (2)

Common Diving Petrel: 2 (1)

Black-faced Cormorant: 300 Most were roosting on the Hippolytes.

Australasian Gannet: 200 Most were roosting on the Hippolytes.

Silver Gull: 30 (3)

Pacific Gull: 2 (1)

Kelp Gull: 15 (2)

Greater Crested Tern: 200 Roosting on the Hippolytes and rocks at Pirates Bay.