birding-aus

Lake McLarty - 3 Ruff, 2 Broad-billed Sandpiper, 14+ Long-toed Stint etc

To: Birding-Aus <>, "" <>
Subject: Lake McLarty - 3 Ruff, 2 Broad-billed Sandpiper, 14+ Long-toed Stint etc.
From: John Graff <>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:17:52 +0800
Hi all,

Greg Howell and I headed down to Lake McLarty (south of Perth if anyone still
doesn't know!) this morning. The lake is drying fast and will probably last
less than a week from here. No sign of the Red-throated Pipit which seems to
have left - we didn't look too hard in the extensive grassed areas but did see
a good variety of waders, highlighted by 3 male Ruff, 2 Broad-billed
Sandpipers, and at least 14 Long-toed Stint (there have been few of these
reported this season at McLarty until now)

Highlights:
Emu (5)
Pacific Golden Plover (1)
Black-tailed Godwit (2)
Red Knot (1)
Common Greenshank (90+)
Marsh Sandpiper (4)
Wood Sandpiper (2)
Grey-tailed Tattler (1)
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (3,000+)
Pectoral Sandpiper (5)
Curlew Sandpiper (8)
Ruff (3 males)
Broad-billed Sandpiper (2)
Red-necked Stint (2,000+)
Long-toed Stint (14+)
Red-capped Plover (1,000+)
Peregrine Falcon (1, which caught a small wader, either a stint or Red-capped
Plover, the latter looking more likely from the little I could see of it)

Cheers,
John