birding-aus

Red-necked Phalaropes in Australian waters

Subject: Red-necked Phalaropes in Australian waters
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 12:08:42 +1100
Hi Colin,
Red-necked Phalaropes are very scarce around Ashmore off north-west Australia.
Over about 20 voyages we only have three records that I can think of;
 - a single bird at sea very close to Ashmore
 - two birds together very close to Ashmore
 - a probable RN Phalarope seen by one participant at sea closer to Broome

I know of a few other sightings including a handful between Darwin and Ashmore but haven't heard of large flocks in these areas. Most of the activity seems to be concentrated just to the north in Indonesian waters consistent with the nice summary you were able to provide.

Port Headland salt works, WA seems to be the most regular site for the species in Australia with counts of more than 10 in multiple years and at least one count of 24. I also vaguely recall a report of a flock at sea off the WA coast in this same general area but can't find details at the minute.

Cheers,
Rohan

Phalaropes winter in reasonable numbers at least in the seas around Timor, Alor
and Flores, only 700-1,000 km off Darwin.

It would be interesting to know how common they are south of Timor, like around
Ashmore Reef (Rohan, Mike?)

Colin

--
Rohan Clarke