birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 3 Feb 2014 03:02:55 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 2 Feb 2014.

Sun 2 Feb spotted harrier sandy point Sth Gippsland
Heading down to sandy for a swim this arvo I noticed what I thought was a wedgie but it was a spotted harrier instead(my first for the district). Also on the 31st of Jan I saw (briefly) a grey(white ) goshawk twice in whipstick gully 100mts from home in foster (another first for me in South Gippsland). s St
Rohan Bugg

Little Button-quail Wilby
Tiny male seen sheltering under shrubs on the west side of the garden. Probably seeking some relief from the over 40 degree temperature today.
Michael Ramsey

Beach Stone-curlew Mots Beach ( Marlo )
This morning the Beach Stone-curlew was located sheltering amongst large piles of timber on the ocean side of the estuary at Mots Beach. At the moment its location very much depends on the state of the tides. Exceedingly low tides makes access very easy but wading across the channel at high tide can present some difficulties.
Jacquie and Len Axen

Wood Sandpiper Lake Connewarre Wildlife Reserve (Reedy Lake)
Single crisp-plumaged Wood Sandpiper associating with 60+ Sharp-tailed Sandpipers at Moolap Station Rd entry to Reedy Lake at Moolap this foggy morning. Also present 13 Glossy Ibis and 10+ Red-Kneed Dotterels on the muddy margins, with good numbers spoonbills, ibis, egrets.
John Newman

Sat 1 Feb Fairy Prion Moggs Creek
Single Dead Fairy Prion on beach
Adrian de Leiros

Beach Stone-curlew Mots Beach, Marlo
The Beach Stone-curlew reported yesterday, is still present in the same location. Observed at low tide today feeding on the ocean side of the estuary. Few if any distractions from holiday makers and fishermen as most were concentrated on the northern side of the estuary.
Jacquie and Len Axen

Square-tailed Kite Eltham
1 straight over the top of our house at about 4pm. The first I've seen in Eltham and a very nice record for an urban yard.
Rohan Clarke

Black Kite Hume Freeway between Wodonga and Albury
It was interesting to see Val's report of Black Kites on the Goulburn River today. This morning I observed over 30 Black Kites on the Murray floodplain between Wodonga and Albury. I am sure there were even more about - however its tricky birding on the freeway!
Matt Weeks

Lewin's Rail, Australian Painted Snipe Mt.St.Joseph's pond, Altona
Thanks to the assistance of David Richardson, the recently reported snipe and Lewin's Rail were well seen this evening at the Mt.St.Joseph's pond in Altona. Thanks David for all your assistance!.
Bernie OKeefe

Australian Painted-snipe,Lewin's Rail MT St Joseph's Pond,Altona
Stonking views of Painted Snipe along with both male and female Lewin's Rail at the pond this evening. Snipe and rail in scope view together at times.Spotless Crakes often appeared too,aswell as Buff-banded Rail.
David A Richardson

Australian Painted-Snipe Mt St Joseph's Pond,Altona
On my way to Westona station this morning I called by the pond to see if the snipe was out and about. I arrived at 08:38 and it appeared on edge of reeds just across from viewing platform near water line of rapidly shrinking pool.It was visible with naked eye as I kept on towards the station.On return journey I again walked by the pond,at12:40 hrs aedst. I had several views of two Spotless Crakes in same spot as I'd seen the snipe this morning,but in half an hours watching I did not see the snipe. It may appear this evening but the water in the pond was even lower than it had been this morning and I think tomorrow will dry out completely.
David A Richardson

Black Kites, Gang-gang cockatoos Seymour River Walk
12 Black Kites circling high upriver from the old bridge; the most I've seen along the Goulburn River here. 5 Gang-gangs flying over. Also 1 Little Eagle.
Val La May

Australian Koel Wy Yung near Bairnsdale
For the past few months I have noticed the call of the male Australian Koel, an unusual sound in our area. Last week, early one morning, we observed what we think may be a young Koel in the Jacaranda with Wattle birds fussing around it.
Jenny Coutts

Australian painted snipe Mount St Joseph Wetlands (Altona)
First observed around 6.40am. Around 7.45am it was much more easily seen as it came out of reeds and began preening.
Richard Arnold

Australian Painted Snipe Mt St Joseph's Pond, Altona
Painted Snipe still present at the previous reported spot at the NE section of the pond although at 615-7am it was skulking in the reeds at the back and not showing often or well. Plenty of other birders present so hopefully reports of better sightings later in the day.
Ed Williams, Mike Honeyman et al.

Fri 31 Jan Beach Stone-curlew Mots Beach ( Marlo )
First reported by Greg McCarthy ( DEPI Orbost ) a Beach Stone-curlew was located at Mots Beach sheltering amongst debris brought down river during recent floods on the Snowy River. "Scoped" and observed at length from the lookout above Mots that same morning. Later photographed foraging along the channel that leads to the backwater at French's Narrows. A third set of observations and photographs ( with Tony Mitchell, DEPI Orbost ) found the bird contentedly feeding directly adjacent to the access track that begins at the Mots Beach car park.
Greg McCarthy per Tony Mitchell, Jacquie and Len Axen

Cox's Sandpiper, Long-toed Stint, Ruff and Pectoral Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Danny Rogers and I conducted a wader count at the treatment plant and found a hot spot for waders - T.Section lagoon pond 7 (first one at the gate). I located a Cox's Sandpiper at 10.15am (probably the one Kevin Bartram found some time ago at the other end of the farm) in the south west corner of the lagoon. Also present were 24 Marsh Sandpipers, 27 Red Knots and 1 Pectoral Sandpiper. At around 6pm Danny and I located 2 Long-toed Stints at the roadside of the lagoon, a Ruff where the Cox's was seen, 56 Marsh Sandpipers, 36 Red Knots, 1300+ Red-necked Stints, 500+ Curlew Sandpipers and a 1000 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. And, lets not ignore the 1 Greenshank also present looking smart as they do.
Danny Rogers and Maarten Hulzebosch

Alexandrine Parakeet Hawthorn
Evening sighting on private property near the Yarra and being harassed by feeding Rainbow Lorikeets.
Mal Kidson

Marsh Sandpiper Moolap Salt Works, Geelong, S-W corner
High No. of Marsh Sandpipers (62) plus 21 Greenshank, 20 Red-necked Avocet, 58+ Masked Lapwing and smaller waders (Red-necked Stint, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Red-capped Plover & Curlew Sandpiper. No evidence of the Terek Sandpiper, Pied & Banded Stilts.
Tom Fletcher & Gordon McCarthy

Australian Painted-Snipe Mt St. Josephs Pond, Altona
Arrived at the pond to join a group of birders already there looking for the bird around 6.35pm. The bird had already been sighted and then was sighted again with clear views sometime after 7pm. Brilliant views as it stood quietly undisturbed by our presence and the noisy trains charging past. Adult male hung around for just shy of 5 minutes before disappearing back into the undergrowth
james Mustafa

Pacific Golden Plover Black Rock Reserve, Barwon Heads
Thirty PGPs concealed among the rocks today including the bird of special interest reported last year. Sadly, my first experience of a beach washed shy albatross in the rocks and a freshly beached little penguin
Hedley Earl

Australian Painted Snipe, Lewin's Rail Mt St Josephs Pond,Altona
I arrived at the pond at 06:03 hrsaedst and spotted the Australian Painted Snipe a few minutes later. Enjoyed consistent views of it feeding, preening and loafing until 08:45 when it headed into denser cover and did not re-emerge.I originally posted this as an immature male based on the look I got in evening light,30/1/14, when it appeared to be very "grey" overall but based on better views this morning I change that to Adult Male. Also Lewin's Rail put in a brief appearance next to the Painted Snipe very early in morning but did not reappear that I saw.
David A Richardson

Thu 30 Jan Australian Painted Snipe Mt St Joseph Pond, Altona
Following a tip off from David Richardson, I arrived at the pond about 8.20pm to find a hobby (or maybe a peregrine) swooping around the pond. No sign of anything much until 9.05 when I spotted the snipe in a hole in the reeds in the north east part of the pond. It came into the open and began feeding about 9.10pm in the near dark. Apologies for the quality of the photo, it's a 0.8s exposure at ISO 1600. Seen from the viewing platform next to the railway line. The pond is at Melway ref 54 C10.
Peter Shute

Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Pink-eared Duck Healesville
2 Y-b Spoonbills and 2 P-e Ducks foraging on a small wetland between Maroondah Hwy and VicRoads Depot, Healesville (visible from Maroondah Hwy near the turnoff to Healesville - Koo Wee Rup Road).
Falk Wicker

Little Eagle Karkarook Park
A dark morph Little Eagle was seen above the laneway behind the lake. Short squared tail, underwing pattern discerned through bins, then lost from sight behind trees and factories. A Zebra Finch was also heard then seen on the South rd side of the Park, almost certainly an aviary escapee. Also of interest was a Collared Sparrowhawk seen at close quarters around the corner (Henry st. Heatherton) on the ground with Common Myna prey.
Lewis Hiller

Australian Painted Snipe, Lewin's Rail, Spotless Crake Mt St Josephs Pond, Altona
Lewin's Rail (1 female) seen emerging cautiously from cover. I was able to get scope onto it. As I watched it I was surprised to see an immature male Painted Snipe cruise up behind it. I was on the viewing platform near the train lines.I moved slightly and both birds saw me.The Rail skulked back into the reeds and the Snipe crouched and froze for a few seconds then flew quickly up and over into dense reeds.The Rail appeared again briefly but no further sight of the APSnipe. Spotless Crake seen briefly. Pond had refilled recently but is rapidly drying out again.Time of sightings,18:45hrs,aedst.
David A Richardson

Wed 29 Jan Broad-billed Sandpiper Hide - WTP
2 Broad-bills observed feeding in front of hide at low tide ~ 5.30pm.
Joy Tansey

Tue 28 Jan White-throated Needletail Helipad, Bunyip State Park
In front of an approaching cold front, with scattered heavy cloud, one group of at least 6 circling the Helipad at around 7:15, and then 2 more did a few circuits at around 8:10. Also a single, and then two, White-throated Nightjars each did single laps of the helipad around 9:10, without calling or landing.
John, Shirley, Peter and Kimberley Tongue

Mon 27 Jan Indian Ringneck Parrot Frankston South
A male Indian Ringneck Parrot feeding with a group of Rainbow Lorikeets on some fruit trees, on a private property in Frankston South.
Lana Cumming

Plumed Whistling Duck Lake Rosine Near Cressey
While doing the summer count we noted a very strange bird amongst the pink eared ducks,on closer inspection it was discovered to be a Plumed Whistling Duck with its left side plumes missing,its not known how it sustained this injury.Plumes on its right are intact.
Irene Spokes

Oriental Plover Cheetham Wetlands (Altona Meadows)
Bird seen on open mud North of Skeleton Creek. Long yellow-green legs, long wings projecting beyond tail. Pale supercilium, white face, buff breast with faint horizontal streaks, darker spot towards belly. Thin black bill. Heavily cropped photo attached - further photos and video available.
Alan Crawford

Stubble Quail, White-throated Needletail Great Otway National Park (Carlisle River Heathland)
Unusual to see a male Stubble Quail in the middle of dense sandy heath. Five Needletails flying west. Southern Emu-wren, abundant, Beautiful Firetail, common, Olive Whistler and Satin Flycatcher at various sites along the Old Carlisle Track and Boggy Creek Track.
Stuart Dashper

White-bellied Sea-Eagle Kiewa Valley Highway 10km south of Dederang
An immature bird circling above Kiewa River billabongs. Unusual this far from the Murray River. I am not familiar with any records of the species more than 15 km from the Murray in the Alpine Valleys.
Dale Tonkinson

Dollarbird, White-thraoted Gerygone Lake Benalla
2 Dollarbirds seen and more heard in woodland area south of Lake Benalla. Also King Parrot and White-throated Gerygone
Jen Spry & Joy Tansey

Pectoral Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
A quick visit to WTP this morning with one Pec SP located amongst about 30 sharpies on the road across Little River almost opposite the birdhide where the road dips down to the shoreline where there are many rocks.
Bernie OKeefe

Sun 26 Jan Dollarbirds Brimin Lodge
20+ Dollarbirds hawking over billabong in the evening. I have seen Dollar birds here before but never in such numbers. White-throated Needletails also in good numbers. Azure and Sacred Kingfishers made several appearances.
Anne Palamountain

Gang-gang Cockatoo Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Whilst driving down the highway, I spotted up to 12 and most likely more Gang-Gang's flying across the road right at the Point Wilson Road Bridge. Thought they were an unusual sighting here. At least 2 males spotted.
James Mustafa

Dollarbird Kaluna Park, Wangaratta
9 Dollarbirds seen calling from tree top in park and more heard in surrounding area during a lunch stop. 20 species of bird seen including yellow form of Crimson Rosella, Rufous Whistler and Sacred Kingfisher.
Jen Spry & Joy Tansey

Powerful Owl, Black Honeyeater, White-throated Nightjar Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park
Heard a Powerful Owl and 2 Barking Owls in the south of the Chiltern section of the Park and a White-throated Nightjar near Honeyeater Dam, saw a Bush Stone-Curlew at the DEPI Research Center and saw lots of Black Honeyeaters and more White-throated Gerygones and Turquoise Parrots at Bartleys Block.
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Black Honeyeater Earlston
One male and one female heard and seen in different parts of property, feeding on flowering mistletoe on Green Mallee
Doug Robinson

Welcome Swallow, Brolga Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Albino Welome Swallow at Gate 8 beside Little River. All white except for some ginger feathers on its throat - poor image attached. Brolgas (5) - Two at Western Lagoons and three on "Beach Road" just east of Little River mouth.
John Eichler

Dollarbird Seymour River Walk
River high due recent release of water from Lake Eildon. Highlight, Dollarbirds. Also 1 Koala. Dollarbird (2) hawking from branches overhanging river.
Roger McGlashan

Sat 25 Jan Banded Lapwing Beach Road paddocks at WTP, Werribee
Observed in morning 4 banded lapwings in ploughed paddock just south of Beach Rd, about 500-800 m west of Pt Wilson Rd intersection.
Mel Mitchell & Joy Sanderson

Barking Owl, White-throated Gerygone, Turquoise Parrot Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park
Heard 2 Barking Owls in the south of the Chiltern section of the Park, saw 2 White-throated Gerygones and 4 Turquoise Parrots near the Honeyeater Dam
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Fri 24 Jan 4000+ Banded Stilts Lake Gnarpurt (Foxhow Rd.)
Just to the north of Lake Corangamite.
Bob & Russell Hughes

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.