birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 3 Feb 2014 03:01:33 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 2 Feb 2014.

Fri 31 Jan Beach Stone-curlew Mots Beach ( Marlo ), Victoria
First reported by Greg McCarthy ( DEPI Orbost ) a Beach Stone-curlew was located at Mots Beach sheltering amongst debris brought down river during recent floods on the Snowy River. "Scoped" and observed at length from the lookout above Mots that same morning. Later photographed foraging along the channel that leads to the backwater at French's Narrows. A third set of observations and photographs ( with Tony Mitchell, DEPI Orbost ) found the bird contentedly feeding directly adjacent to the access track that begins at the Mots Beach car park.
Greg McCarthy per Tony Mitchell, Jacquie and Len Axen

Red-necked Phalarope Bamaga settling ponds 10 54S 142 23E 1' Cell, Queensland
Grey and white bird not seen prior here on water near edge of pond. Paddling high and spinning whilst pecking insects off water surface. When moved forward had marked head pumping action. Beak black, thin and straight approx. same length of head. Black stripe through eye with distinct downturn and tapering posteriorly. Crown and hind neck grey broader at crown, tapering. Back darkish grey with white edges on feathers. Approachable and got to within 4 meters before it paddled away not inclined to fly. Flew about 10-15m spontaneously twice and landed on water again. Did not go to land. Watched for 1/2 hour in good light including with 60 x objective from 15M away. I forced a final short flight flush again showing the white wing bar well. It called briefly during this flight (the only occasion) a short, reasonably high pitched "tserp". I had field guides Slater, Morecombe and Pizzey and Knight in possession and was able to consult all at leisure to exclude Grey and Wilson's Phalarope and confirm the species beyond doubt. (non-breeding plumage).
Rob Reed

Thu 30 Jan Australian Painted Snipe, Lewin's Rail, Spotless Crake Mt St Josephs Pond, Altona, Victoria
Lewin's Rail (1 female) seen emerging cautiously from cover. I was able to get scope onto it. As I watched it I was surprised to see an immature male Painted Snipe cruise up behind it. I was on the viewing platform near the train lines.I moved slightly and both birds saw me.The Rail skulked back into the reeds and the Snipe crouched and froze for a few seconds then flew quickly up and over into dense reeds.The Rail appeared again briefly but no further sight of the APSnipe. Spotless Crake seen briefly. Pond had refilled recently but is rapidly drying out again.Time of sightings,18:45hrs,aedst.
David A Richardson

Mon 27 Jan Freckled Duck Leanyer/Sanderson WTP, Northern Territory
2 Freckled Ducks observed on water in adjacent ponds this morning.
Mick Jerram, Brian Johnston

Sun 26 Jan Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Subject to submission to BARC) Hexham Swamp Nature Reserve, New South Wales
John succeeded in finding the Buff-breasted Sandpiper close to the location it was originally found (where the track goes over the small bridge). It then flew over to the eastern side where I was able to get the a number of photos within a few metres.
Edwin Vella, John Weigel, Allan Richardson et al

Oriental Plover (Subject to submission to NSW ORAC) Phoenix Park (near Morpeth), New South Wales
Oriental Plover found this afternoon by Trevor Williams in a weedy pasture with several Banded Lapwing (including immature birds) on Phoenix Park Road, about 3km north of Morpeth.
Trevor and Dan Williams, Mick Roderick, Allan Richardson et al

Sun 19 Jan Oriental Plover (Subject to submission to NSW ORAC), Pectoral Sandpiper, Double-banded Plover Lord Howe Island, New South Wales
On the airport runway in the middle of the day were 3 Oriental and a single Double-banded Plover as well as a Pectoral Sandpiper amongst a good number of Pacific Golden Plovers, Ruddy Turnstones and Bar-tailed Godwits. A pelagic trip later in the afternoon also produced good numbers of White-bellied Storm Petrels and Kermadec Petrels (of all sorts of morphs) as well as the other usual seabirds found this time of year in Lord Howe Island.
Edwin Vella, Tony Dawe, Mark Fuller and David Koffel

Sat 11 Jan Orange-bellied Parrot Melaleuca, Tasmania
At least 20 individuals returned this season according to research staff.
Dion Hobcroft

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife Australia and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.