birding-aus

Australia Day - North Turramurra, Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Australia Day - North Turramurra, Sydney
From: "Wilsons" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:45:34 +1100
Hi all
hope you've all had a great day. Having been in the UK & Europe until recently
(my 1st bird of 2014 was a Black-headed Gull), had my first proper Aussie
birding walk of the year this morning, following the Lovers Jump Creek Track
from McRae Place to Samuel King Oval in N Turramurra).  I saw 44 species,
highlights from a good selection of local bush birds being:
- single Powerful Owl (with possum) approx 1km in from McRae Place
- singles of Pacific Baza and Brown Goshawk
- 2 Superb Lyrebirds seen (1 doing a varied repertoire of whipbird, rosella,
kookaburra and it's own gurglings)
- family of Dollarbirds (2 ad; 4 fledglings)
- good numbers of Brown Pigeon

This afternoon at home (Bobbin Head Rd), have had a couple of interesting
fly-overs (thanks to the local cockatoo alarm system...)
- the Brown Goshawk was around all afternoon
- a White-faced Heron flew over the house heading SE approx 2:30pm
- a Juvenile Swamp Harrier crossed over road heading West-East approx 3:30pm -
very upswept wings, buoyant flight, long slim tail, chocolate brown with
suggestion of white on the rump and paler patches around base of primaries.

Cheers
Tom Wilson