birding-aus

Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Hexham Swamp, NSW

To: "" <>
Subject: Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Hexham Swamp, NSW
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 16:48:58 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

Rod Warnock found and photographed a Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Hexham Swamp at
around 0900 yesterday morning. Christina Port was with him and also
photographed it. There is an image up on Birdline NSW at the link below.

http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=2

 I don't know any details apart from the fact that it was seen at about 0900
"on the right side of the track going south, on one of the large ponds". The
shorebirds move around quite a bit out there so it could be anywhere the
Sharpies are I'd say.

A few people have been there (incidentally) this morning and are out there as I
type this, but there has been no sign of the bird. There have been
Broad-billeds (of which up to 5 have now been reported), Wood and Pec Sands
there this morning.

Refer to my email from the other day re: access to this site and please, if
people are tempted to come and find the bird, read the instructions on that
message about the procedures and car-pool as much as possible because only a
limited number of vehicles are allowed out there at the one time. For those who
delete emails, I've copied below a link to the message in the archives.

http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2014-01/msg00244.html

Cheers
Mick