birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant birding

To: "" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant birding
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 00:09:42 +1100
I spent about 90 minutes late at the Western Lagoons late  today. I was
keen to see Broad-billed Sandpiper as I've missed all the others that have
popped up at WTP over recent years. It took two visits to the spot where it
has been seen reliably: on Pond 4/5, viewing from the road that used to
bisect these lagoons (now it only goes a little way, and the lagoons join
beyond it). I saw it around 8.30pm, but not for long, as the group of
waders were flushed by 3 Pied Oystercatchers flying in.

Other birds included:
c. 8-10 Common Greenshank (one of the more predictable waders in these
parts, but not often in numbers)

6 or more Marsh Sandpiper on Pond 3

4 Little Egrets (Ponds 4/5)

3 (or 4?) Aust Spotted Crake (Pond 3)

2 Brolga on the road between Ponds 2 and 7, then later in 4/5.

Red-kneed Dotterel - a few years ago these were restricted to Borrow Pits
etc but they are in most places that have waders now, and in good numbers

Whiskered Tern are everywhere in large numbers - not unusual, but it's
fantastic to see them so close. They really are a beautiful bird. They were
flying low over 29 Mile Road as the sun was starting to set. Spectacular.

On the way home there was a Spotted Harrier sitting on a fence post and I
was able to get a few photos before it flew off

Banded Lapwing were next to the dam half way along Beach Road.

What a way to spend a little time on the way home from work!

Please note that WTP is closed to permit holders on days of total fire ban
- as is the case for tomorrow, and possibly the rest of this week.

Russell Woodford