birding-aus

Fwd: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:40:55 +1100
Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Jan 2014.

Sun 12 Jan      White-browed Robin Bamaga Road (Sanamere Creek crossing)
Dawn. Cloudy heading to rain. Surprised to see White-browed robin north of the
Jardine river. White-browed Robin (2) 1 either side of small creek hopping
about in low eucalypt branches. Approachable. Calling 'song 2' of Morcombe's
app. Unusual to see north of The Jardine River. Klaus Uhlenhut (Cape York Bird
Week) had a reliable pair at Jardine pump station (13km direct flight away) for
many years now not present. Birds Queensland reported at Pajinka (The Tip of
CY) in 1995/6.
Rob Reed

Sat 11 Jan      Bush-hen Hasties Swamp National Park
Bush-hen (6) 2 adults and 4 freshly hatched black fluffy chicks crossing the
gravel road (Koci Rd) towards the water. No previous record on Eremaea for this
site but clearly breeds here.
Peter Valentine

Thu 9 Jan       White-headed Pigeon Paluma Range Nat Park (Paluma dam)
White-headed Pigeon (Columba leucomela) beside Birthday Creek (second bridge)
yesterday
Tony Ashton

        Sanderling Cairns Esplanade
Sanderling (1) Uncommon. Pointed out by Lars Jonsson from Sweden, well known
wader expert and illustrator.
Keith & Lindsay Fisher

Wed 8 Jan       Buff-banded Rail Townsville CBD Carpark
This is the first Buff-banded Rail I have seen in the Townsville CBD in my 30
years working here. I found it deceased in my city centre open-air carpark 186
Walker Street this morning. It was not there yesterday afternoon. Interesting:
- Completely dry concrete and bitumen habitat.
Len Ezzy

Sat 4 Jan       Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Red-bellied Pitta, Yellow-legged
Flycatcher, Marbled Frogmouth Iron Range National Park
Other species seen and photographed from 1 - 4 January have included, Trumpet
Manucode, Magnificent Riflebird, Fawn-breasted Bowerbird, Green-backed
Honeyeater, White-streaked Honeyeater, Tropical Scrubwren, Fairy Gerygone -
race personata, Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo, White-browed Robin, Spectacled
Monarch, Black-winged Monarch, Frill-necked Monarch and Red-necked Crake (not
photographed yet – but closing in). Conditions this year are much drier than
when I was here first week of 2012, with threats of afternoon showers (think
steam bath).
John Weigel

Fri 3 Jan       Red-necked Phalarope Barratta 10' Cell
(Moderator's Note:- These birds were seen on private property; no trespassing)
Red-necked Phalarope (2) Appeared slightly smaller than the Sharp-tailed
Sandpipers and separate to colony of Whiskered and White-winged Black Tern.
These two birds looked smaller than the terns. Cloudy conditions.
Roger Mortlock

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern
Queensland<http://www.birdsaustralianq.org/> and BirdLife
Townsville<http://www.trboc.org.au/> and hosted by Eremaea
Birds<http://www.eremaea.com>.