birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 23 Dec 2013 03:02:37 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Dec 2013.

Sat 21 Dec Freckled Duck Lake Claremont, Perth
2 at east side of lake
Robert Hay

Wed 18 Dec Scarlet-chested Parrot Near Balladonia in Greater Western Woodland
A total of no less than eight Scarlet-chested Parrots, including one group of six immatures together. In a period of two hours we had additional sightings of ten individuals, of which we could be certain at least two were not from the group of six. One was an adult female (much brighter than the immatures) and the other was another immature seen in a different area. If some of the others were different birds, then potentially the total could have been greater than eight. We were able to study the eight birds for prolonged periods, from distances as close as three to ten metres, but sadly no photos as both camera batteries were flat after seven days in the field. Some of the additional sightings were fly-bys, with the age of the bird not determined. We did not see any adult males. Given the high proportion of immatures, it is probable that they had nested somewhere in the vicinity. We are providing the GPS co-ordinates to BirdLife Australia.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Sun 15 Dec Ruff Lake Preston
On the lake north of the causeway in a mixed flock of Red-necked Stints and Curlew Sandpiper.
Ross Jones

Fri 13 Dec Australian Crake, Spotless Crake, Banded Stilt, Hooded Plover Preston Beach
Weekend visit to Preston beach and surrounds with small group of birders. Most of the birding took place around the causeway area and along Lake Preston on the Golf Course (northern) side. The weekend also included a visit to Lake Pollard bird hide. Australian Crake (2) 1 adult and 1 juvenile in reeds along edge of lake near not far from golf course. Photos taken Spotless Crake (1) 1 adult in reeds along edge of lake near not far from golf course. Photos taken Banded Stilt (200) Large numbers on Lake Preston on southern side of causeway Hooded Plover (12) Spotted at 3 different locations. 1 group of 5, a pair and 1 singles on Lake Preston. Group of 4 on Lake Pollard near bird hide - photos taken
Ross Jones

Birdline Western Australia is hosted by Eremaea Birds.