birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 00:05:05 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, December 16, 2013 to Sunday, December 22, 2013:

Area: SA

Date: Thursday, December 12, 2013

Location: Swamphen reserve - Walkers Flat

White-breasted Woodswallow (Artamus leucorynchus) (6) Pair defending and nest
building ~6m from ground level in shallow hollow on vertical trunk of Redgum on
river-bank adjacent boat ramp carpark and camping area. Several others seen
hawking over river and nearby swamps.

Reported by: Terry Dennis on Monday, December 16, 2013

Date: Sunday, December 15, 2013

Location: Magazine Rd Greenfields

Long-toed Stint (Calidris subminuta) (2) 3 Adults.

Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) (3) Water levels getting quite low in most
ponds.

3 Adults refer to Glossy Ibis.

Reported by: William Brooker on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Date: Monday, December 16, 2013

Location: Pond adjacent to Main South Road at Old Noarlunga

Freckled Duck (Stictonetta naevosa) (1) At least 12 Freckled Ducks amoung
various other more common species, mostly hugging the reed beds in the central
island on the pond, but occasionally venturing out if you wait patiently. Never
seen this species in this pond/lake before

Reported by: Colin Cock on Monday, December 16, 2013

Date: Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Location: Magazine Rd Wetlands

Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia) (1) With breeding plumage and one of possibly
4 (Photo attached)

Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia) (1) Non-breeding (Photo attached)

Yellow-billed Spoonbill (Platalea flavipes) (1) With breeding plumage and 1 of
possibly 4 (Photo attached)

Reported by: Gordon Pateman on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013

Location: Laratinga Wetlands, basin one.

Red-kneed Dotterel (Erythrogonys cinctus) (5) Two of these birds were adult.
One had two downy young and the other had one. All were feeding in mud near
reeds. This is the first breeding record we know of in the wetland.

Reported by: Kevin and Lyn Williams on Sunday, December 22, 2013