birding-aus

Young ducks can jump

To: "'Laurie Knight'" <>
Subject: Young ducks can jump
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 22:34:15 +1100
Most ground living flying birds jump up as a start to each flight. Many
ducks do too. Some perching birds do also. Sure that is not very dramatic
and that is up to you whether you call that "a noticeable capacity". Many
years ago when I kept finches and quails I confined the father King Quail to
a wooden cage when he was being aggressive to new chicks. That proved his
doom when my father came around the corner and looked at him closely and he
got frightened and jumped up and either broke his neck or smashed his head
on the wooden roof of the cage and died in a shaking mess almost instantly.
That tells me that King Quails are capable of very powerful jumps. I suspect
that is a common thing of things like quail, and consistent with the way
they fly off so quickly in the wild. After that I padded the roof of the
cage.

Philip