birding-aus

RFI: artificial watering points & impacts on birds

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: RFI: artificial watering points & impacts on birds
From: "Mules, Michael" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 05:24:38 +0000
Hi Martin,

I investigated the impact of artificial watering points on birds on Calperum
Station in the Bookmark Biosphere Reserve for my honours thesis in '96-'97.  As
far as I'm aware, a copy of my thesis is still in the Melbourne University
Zoology Library.

Further work was done by (if I am remembering his name properly) Rhidian
Harrington for his PhD in the adjacent Gluepot Reserve, leading to the closure
of a number of waterpoints.  With the luxury of more time in the field, he was
able to get a lot more detail and a better view of medium-term use than I was.

To summarise very briefly, I found no significant effect of closing waterpoints
on overall species richness, on the overall avifaunal composition or the
abundance of the 10 or so (I forget exactly, and can't remember where I put my
copy of the thesis) species I gathered enough data on to analyse.  Bear in
mind, data was gathered over two one-month field trips (September and
February), we were limited to 4 control and 4 experimental (closed) waterholes,
and the total number of 24 hour waterpoint watches I did (separate to gathering
abundance and distribution data with distance from open and closed waterpoints)
was only 3 each trip.

What I do remember is that the only obligate users of the waterpoints I saw
(and the ones that were most closely correlated with proximity to the
waterpoints) were the granivorous birds: Common Bronzewing and Crested Pigeon
most notably.  On the days above 30 deg. honeyeaters also made use of the
water, but there was no correlation between distance from the waterpoint and
their distribution or abundance.  My biggest problem with gathering this data
was the spread of waterpoints and dams on Calperum made it very hard to find
areas that were more than 6km from the nearest water source.

I hope that helps,

Cheers, Mike