birding-aus

Main front of swifts reaches Victoria

Subject: Main front of swifts reaches Victoria
From: "Prof Michael Tarburton" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:34:05 +1100
 G'day bird enthusiasts
On Tuesday I searched eastern Gippsland's best known sites for
White-throated Needletails and found them at only one site.  On
Wednesday I repeated the search and found them at seven sites.
While a few observers have seen the occasional flock in Victoria over
the last four weeks and reporters in SE Qld and Nth NSW have been
seeing many flocks, I believe these sightings mark the arrival of the
main migration front to Victoria.
The places I found them were along the Princes Highway between the NSW
border and 3 km W of the T/O to Club Terrace.  The long vehicle
Turnaround 200m up Drummer Rd, from the Thurra River Rest Area, on
Princes Hwy. was as usual the most reliable site and is the only place
I found them on Tuesday.
The places I did not find them were the Cann Valley Hwy up to the
border, the Princes Hwy W of near the T/O to Club Terrace, as far as
Bairnsdale via Lakes Entrance & via  Bruthen: All the tracks around
Cape Conran,  Yeerung R, & Gorge, Cabbage Tree Reserve, Marlo Plains
Rd, Airport, Marlo.  (Len Axen saw a flock near Yeerung a week ago)
So I predict that we will start seeing more flocks around these latter
areas in a day or two and in the forest closer to Melbourne in a week
or two.  If you are in these areas please keep your eyes open and let
me know how many you see.
Many thanks for all the observations from NSW & Qld.
Happy swift watching
Mike Tarburton

Email sent using Optus Webmail