birding-aus

We're moving

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: We're moving
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 16:26:24 +1100
Hi everyone

As advised a couple of weeks ago, Birding-Aus is moving because Vicnet is
being decommissioned in the new year.

The new mailing list will operate more or less the same as the old one, but
will be hosted on our own server.

Existing subscribers *do not need to do anything* at this stage. I will let
you all know when the old service closes and the new one starts. I will
migrate email addresses *for all subscribers* from the old to the new list.

If you would like to sign up for yourself, then please visit our website:
http://birding-aus.org
and click the SUBSCRIBE link in the side bar.
You will need to have your subscription approved if you do it this way -
just a security measure while I am setting everything up.

One possible change we are considering is to allow images in posts. Some
people have asked for this - and some have asked not to have it because of
bandwidth concerns.  A third option may be that we allow images to be
posted to the Birding-Aus website - or to our Yahoo Group. This would
facilitate greater discussion of ID issues, and so on. I've put a *poll* on
the website <http://birding-aus.org>. If you feel strongly about images in
messages, please make sure you cast your vote!

Whatever we decide for images, the intention is not to replicate any of the
other fantastic bird image repositories (e.g. Birdforum, Facebook Birders,
OzBirdPix, ABID, and so on) but to allow members *to post an image they
would like to discuss* on our forum.

So - please keep posting to  for the next few days
until I announce the move has been completed. After that, the address to
put in your contacts list will be

Regards

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus Owner