birding-aus

Ducks and Surfing Black Swans

To: brian fleming <>
Subject: Ducks and Surfing Black Swans
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:16:38 +1100
These stories remind me of a much milder version I've seen with ducks on Lake
Borrie at WTP, or at least on the pond next to it.

When the Northern Shoveler was around earlier this year, I noticed that it,
along with the Australasian Shovelers, was allowing itself to drift with the
wind to one side of the pond, then it would swim to the upwind side again, and
start over.  I rarely saw it feeding during these movements. Occasionally it
would rest on the sheltered bank for a while before resuming the cycle.

Not as exciting as surfing or a fast flowing channel, but still the same kind
of repetitive drifting and returning. Why? Perhaps just a desire to be on the
water and moving? Or prey is scarce enough that this is the most efficient way
to increase chances of encountering some?

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad