birding-aus

Brush Cuckoos

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Brush Cuckoos
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:05:04 +1100
A few hours ago, we watched a Brush Cuckoo moving about in front of our house
near Grafton, NSW, but it has just turned into 3!
There was interaction with a Noisy Friarbird, which was confusing for a while
until it became clear that there was indeed a Friarbird.
We weren't sure whether there were 2 or 3 Brush Cuckoos, but when we actually
got the Friarbird, it came in close to 2 Cuckoos, softening up a grub.  It
didn't feed either Cuckoo, though it kept going to the ground and back up close
to them.
Finally, a third Cuckoo came into the picture (so now we were sure there were 3
Cuckoos) and 2 flew off into a nearby tree.  One of those left and came back to
the one which stayed in the tree before leaving again.  Couldn't be sure if
feeding took place.

Can anyone say if we might have been watching a young Cuckoo being picked up by
parents?

Peter and Bev Morgan