birding-aus

Some good news and some bad news

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Some good news and some bad news
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:03:36 +1100
First, the bad news.

Vicnet, the mailing list host for birding-aus for about the last 10 years,
is closing down. The State Library of Victoria is rationalising its
services, and will no longer be providing web hosting or mailing list
services via Vicnet. They will begin decommissioning their servers in early
January.

This means that Birding-Aus is moving!

Now the good news.

I still intend to keep Birding-Aus as an email forum, but the need to move
opens up a lot of other possibilities and options. For instance, I'd like
to have a web forum that also allows reading and posting by email. I'd also
like members to be able to include images. Ideally, messages received as
emails would have a link to images, rather than attachments. That way,
members can see images if they want, but those with limited bandwidth can
still receive text-only messages.

Birding-Aus is likely to move to one of the following:
Yahoo Group
Google Group
Forum on birding-aus.org
Stay the same, but move to birding-aus.org as the mailing list host
Something else (we're still looking at possibilities)

I know lots of our members will want to make suggestions, so I've set up a
discussion forum on Yahoo Groups. In fact, if we decide to go there, this
may well become the new Birding-Aus. But for the moment, I'd welcome any
comments and suggestions on the future of this forum.