birding-aus

What happens to the vagrants

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: What happens to the vagrants
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:48:09 +1100
Earlier this year I took a Danish guy out birding - turns out he was a
Professor of Ornithology in Germany. His speciality was migration and - if
I understand correctly - his research shows that birds can basically find
their way towards a pole or away from a pole, and not necessarily north or
south. (This would seem OK for birds that migrate solely within a
hemisphere but seems difficult to apply to our waders for example?). So he
reckoned that once a bird had crossed the equator - and we were talking
about the fairly regular male Northern Shoveller at Werribee - it would
continue its annual migration pattern but be out by 180 degrees - which
would work reasonably well in such cases. But harder to apply to birds
which just make it over the equator I guess