birding-aus

Eye Shine and Owlet Nightjars

To: Roger McNeill <>
Subject: Eye Shine and Owlet Nightjars
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:18:23 -0600
Roger

It's very simple physics. Almost anything looks brightest when the light source is close to your eyes. But in addition, a bird's eye is pretty much retro-reflective. That is, the light reflected by it mostly goes back along the path it came from. If you think about it, you are looking at the inside of a sphere, so wherever the light comes from, it is reflected back in the reverse direction. The same principle is used to make road markings shine brightly at night. The paint on a road is filled with tiny glass spheres, so that from whatever direction the light arrives, some portion of it is retro-reflected. Since the headlights of a car are not too far off the line of your sight, a lot of that light comes back to your eyes, and the markings look bright. If the paint was just plain gloss paint, it would be much more reflective, but nearly all the light from the headlights would be reflected away from the driver, and the paint would look essentially black. As does smooth ice, and for the same reason.

Owlet Nightjars eyes are not nearly so bright as White-throated Nightjar's eyes. But even a White-throated can be seen at much greater distance with a light which is close to your eyes. It makes such a difference, that you can wear a headlamp and see the eyes of things like owls at reasonable distance even though the headlamp is not very bright. A side benefit of this is that the lower light levels will scare the bird a lot less, so you can actually gain by having a lower intensity light if it is close to your eyes. A headlamp is perfect for that!

Incidentally, if you know to look for it, you can see eye-shine of animals in all sorts of unexpected ways. A classic case is to get to a place where there are frogs on the surface of the water. If you get the sun straight behind you (eg in early morning or late afternoon), you will be able to see their eye-shines surprisingly well, especially if you use binoculars.

Using binoculars with a headlamp is a great way to find all sorts of creatures at night. Frogs, snakes, geckoes, spiders, small mammals and even bats in the right situations. Just use your binoculars to look at the spot of light from the headlamp.

Cheers, Chris.