birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 11 Nov 2013 03:02:35 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 10 Nov 2013.

Mon 4 Nov Pectoral Sandpiper Rottnest Island
Pectoral Sandpiper (1) Observed on Eastern end of Herschel Lake, late afternoon. Yellow on bill, streaked breast demarcated from clean, white belly
Scott Ryan

Painted Button-quail Collins Rd, near Westdale
My understanding is that this species is very uncommon in WA so it was with great excitement that a single bird crossed the road this afternoon and allowed me a photo chance before it scurried off into the bush.
Bernie OKeefe

Carnaby's Black-cockatoo Brookton Hwy, Westdale
8 birds arrived for a drink at around 5.45 today at a small dam on the Brookton Hwy about 3 km before the Collins Rd turnoff heading from Perth.
Bernie OKeefe

Elegant Parrot Brookton Hwy,Westdale
I spent the afternoon checking out some watering holes on the Brookton Hwy. One dam proved very productive between 5.30-6.00 pm today. A number of small flocks of Elegants arrived at the dam to drink, as did 8 Carnabys Cockatoos and two seperate groups of Regent Parrots, although the Regents would not land after spotting me! What a great watering hole! The dam is about 3 kms before the Collins Rd turnoff heading from Perth.
Bernie OKeefe

Red-eared Firetail Ellis Brook Regional Park
After many hours of hard work, one immature bird was located along the right hand track from the car park. Thanks again to Peter Taylor for his efforts. We also found and photographed a 3 foot long beautiful Carpet Python, which we removed from the road leading into the park after stopping a truck from running over it!
Bernie OKeefe

Sun 3 Nov Bourke's Parrot 20 km East of Wararkurna turnoff
Bourke's Parrot (20) Feeding on roadside herbs at times with Mulga Parrots. Quite common here, certainly the best locality I have found in the district.
James Dickson

Sun 3 Nov Grey Plover Rottnest Island
Grey Plover (1) Observed late afternoon on one of the islands salt lakes. Identified by black markings under wings & pale rump with fine barring on tail
Scott Ryan

Cattle Egret South Yunderup - 32 35S 115 49E 1' Cell
Small group of Cattle Egrets (6) in paddock on South Yunderup Road near the Pinjarra Rd intersection. In breeding plumage in amongst herd of cattle. Photos taken to Confirm ID.
Ross Jones

Western Yellow Robin Westdale
I located this bird after a tip off from other birders along Collins Rd, off the Brookston Hwy. Not long after, Peter Taylor, from Birding South West was able to find the nest where the parents were feeding young. We stayed well back from the nest and left them to care for their young. Apparently this species is very rare so close to Perth.
Bernie OKeefe

White-breasted Robin Victoria Dam
Peter Taylor from Birding South West found me this target species. The robin was located near the base of the new Dam wall, just near the picnic area. Thanks again Peter!
Bernie OKeefe

Square-tailed Kite Victoria Dam
A wonderful day spent out birding with Peter Taylor from Birding South West. Many highlights including a pair of Square-tailed Kites. We watched them for about 15 minutes as they were harassed by ravens. Thanks Peter!
Bernie OKeefe

Sun 20 Oct Swinhoe's Storm-Petrel, Matsudaira's Storm-Petrel and Bulwers Petrel At sea between Broome, WA and Ashmore Reef
An unprecedented count of 79 Swinhoe's Storm-Petrel between Broome and Ashmore Reef, 5 of which were only 65 km from Broome. Other good counts included 16 Matsudaira's Storm-Petrel, 6 Tahiti Petrel, 98 Streaked Shearwater and 24 Bulwer's Petrel. Counts were a running tally over the days 20-22nd Oct and 25-26th Oct.
George Swann, Mike Carter, Rohan Clarke et al.

Sat 19 Oct Red-necked Phalarope, Little Ringed Plover, Semi-palmated Plover, Pectoral Sandpiper Broome and surrounds
Some rare and uncommon shorebirds in and around Broome included a Red-necked Phalarope at Lake Eda, a juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper at Lake Campion, and a Little Ringed Plover and Semi-palmated Plover at the Broome Sewage Works. Note access to Lake Eda and Lake Campion can only be gained by joining a tour with either Kimberley Birdwatching or the Broome Bird Observatory.
George Swann, Rohan Clarke et al.

Birdline Western Australia is hosted by Eremaea Birds.