birding-aus

Pink Robin and Olive Whistler, Vic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Pink Robin and Olive Whistler, Vic
From: Jenny Spry <>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:25:10 +1100
Hi all,

We decided that because a Dollarbird had been seen near Healesville it
would be a good day to drive out that way and look for it, as well as chase
up Pink Robins for our year list. There was no sign of the Dollarbird but
by the time we turned around to head home we had checked off a whole list
of “colourful” birds.

We started out at the Wirrawilla Rainforest Walk and found a beautiful male
*Pink* Robin on the edge of the car park without too much problem and then
headed for another target bird, *Olive* Whistler, that often hangs out on
the track that leads out from the Tanglefoot car park. About 300 metres up
the track we found a pair calling and had very good views.

As well as these two birds we soon realised that many of our other
sightings for the day were “colour” birds. We had *Rose* Robin,
*Brown*Thornbill,
*White*-browed Scrub-wren, Common *Bronze*wing, *Rufous* Whistler,
*Golden*Whistler,
*Grey* Fantail, *Red*-browed Finch, *Crimson* Rosella, *Silver*-eye,
*Yellow*-faced Honeyeater and Pacific *Black* Duck. That’s enough colours
in one day to put together a small box of Derwents (smile).

We also discussed the eligibility of *Flame* Robin and *Sulphur*-crested
Cockatoo but decided they didn’t quite fit our “colour” criteria (smile).

It is also some time since I have had four robins in one day, Eastern
*Yellow*, Flame, Rose and Pink, as well as three different whistler
species, Rufous, Golden and Olive. Brilliant.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/