birding-aus

Mottled Petrel off Sunshine Coast

To: Nikolas Haass <>, Greg Roberts <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Mottled Petrel off Sunshine Coast
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 19:35:16 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

Just a comment on this thread about Fleshy-foots. This time last year we also
had a dearth of Fleshy-foots off the NSW coast. Off Port Stephens we had just a
single bird in October and not one in November. Sydney had one bird in both Oct
and Nov and just 2 birds in December. Wollongong had 6 in November but finally
by December there was a "many" (100+) recorded (I don't think they went out in
Oct last year). It wasn't til our January 2013 trip that we had a "reasonable"
count of 15 birds and Sydney had 40-odd in Feb.

Off Southport there were zero in Oct but then 22 in December.

So something was going on with Fleshy-foots last year too. Late arrivals back
at Lord Howe? I recall having this convo with someone but can't recall the
theories.

Does anyone know what species the "At Lord Howe Island this month, 200
shearwater birds washed up for the first  time in many years..." line in The
Age article refers to? I'm assuming still Short-tails.

It certainly doesn't explain the lack of Wedge-taileds and as an avid
seawatcher off Newcastle I was seeing the regular 100's/1000's of Wedgies right
up until the Short-taileds arrived and since then I've found it very difficult
to see a Wedge-tailed from shore whereas normally you'd be very hard-pressed to
not see one from Nobby's. Perhaps they are feeding elsewhere?

Fingers crossed we get out of Port Stephens this Sunday to perhaps put another
piece into this puzzle.

Mick
p.s. on that note, there are no vacancies for this Sunday, but I have a couple
of spare seats for the 24th of this month - if anyone's interested contact me
off-list.