birding-aus

Western NSW Birding in October

To: "" <>
Subject: Western NSW Birding in October
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 12:11:06 +1100

Hi Birders,
Just back from a three week circuit (Capertee, The Pilliga, Lake
Cargelligo/Round Hill, Willandra, Cocopara and Weddin Mountain).

Now apart from picking the worst three week "Spring" in years I suspect given
the temperatures and wind strength, we did manage some good birds and there are
many Atlas submissions outstanding. We heard about the Blue Mountains fires
from afar and after we had left Capertee.

A key impression from our National Parks and Reserves though was the obvious
and unconcerned feral goats, who judging by the number of young kids are doing
very well. Whoey Tank at Round Hill had a herd, at Cocopara they were so tame
around the campground they were in frequent view. One billy there had a
deformed horn sending him blind and growing into his face - and no matter what
I think about feral species, it was sad to see his suffering with no ability to
put him out of his misery. At a rocky waterhole on the Whoey Tank track at
Round Hill one evening by the way we counted 65 Common Bronzewings lining up to
drink and there were no doubt more in the vicinity. It is getting dry out there
already and there is no water in the Whoey Tank dams. BestGraeme Stevens