birding-aus

Pulletop Nature Reserve

To: <>
Subject: Pulletop Nature Reserve
From: "Carl Weber" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:47:33 +1100
Thanks to Peter Ewin, Sandra Henderson, and Stephen Ambrose for providing
the most interesting historical and birding information and leads on
Pulletop Nature Reserve. Thanks, too, to Graeme Chapman who photographed the
first ever nesting shot of a red-lored whistler in NSW - at Pulletop in 1964
(refer to his website).

I was birding at Binya at the weekend, and ran out of birds around
lunchtime. So I thought that I would check out other areas listed in the
Griffith birding guide, and Pulletop looked interesting. However,
mid-afternoon was not a good time to find birds at Pulletop, and I saw only
mulga parrot, some thornbills, woodswallows and a pied butcherbird, all
within about 300 m of the hut. Will go back there sometime for a morning
visit. It is sad to find that the mallee birds have declined or disappeared
since the mid 1960's.  The presence or otherwise of splendid fairy-wren
would be a good indication of how things are going, as they are plentiful at
Binya at present. I saw a fox on my way out - foxes are possibly the main
culprit, and wonder if baiting would result in a return of mallee bird
species. Perhaps the NP & WS could be persuaded to lay baits and re-stock
Pulletop with malleefowl.

It seems to me that the hut and its notice board, with the blunt,
military-style instructions/advice, coupled with the connection to Dr Frith,
should be in some way be preserved as a heritage item, including the water
tank and dunny. The mallee looks pretty good, and, to my eye, provides a
nice contrast with the splendid and prosperous wheat fields and grape vines
of the Griffith region. Any chance of a walking trail?

Regards to all,

Carl Weber