birding-aus

Wyperfeld NP

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Wyperfeld NP
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 14:06:12 +1100
Last Saturday, we took a drive in the late afternoon from the Casuarina
Campground.  We pulled up for a bit of a look around and spent some time
looking at Rufous Fieldwrens.
The whole thing was disturbed when 4 vehicles came towards us, and one peeled
off to start chasing 3 emu across the grassy plain, shooting at them.  Three
emu were chased down and shot.  At some point, the people in the vehicles
became aware of our presence, and three of them sped up and drove past us.
The shooter finished off the last emu and that vehicle drove off back the way
it came.  It was an act of senseless slaughter, and we can only assume that
each of the vehicles had shooters on board and there would be a lot of killing
that night.

Early on Sunday morning, Bev heard a Gilberts Whistler calling, and I was able
to pick it up when I put the hearing aids in.  It kept going and we decided to
look for it.  Eventually, about 300m away, we had very good looks at a male .
It was still calling from the same spot when we left at midday.

Monday, Brown-headed Honeyeaters were found near the Wonga Campground.  They
are not included on the park list.
Tuesday, Chestnut Quail-thrush also not on the list, was seen on the Dattuck
Track, out from Wonga Campground.

Peter and Bev Morgan