birding-aus

Nightjar breeding record

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Nightjar breeding record
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 16:48:28 +1000
G'day,

For those of you who are interested in timing of breeding etc, I happened on a pair of White-throated Nightjars with a young one on the Sunshine Coast over the weekend.

I don't where the demarcation point is between the status of chick vs juvenile. This young one was mostly fledged but hadn't grown its tail feathers. Its plumage blended very nicely with the dead leaves on the ground.

I've placed a picture of the young one on Tom Tarrant's website - http://www.aviceda.org/abid/birdimages.php?action=birdimage&bid=297&fid=27&p=5&pagesize=1 . One of the adults perched in a tree 50 metres away, so I have also placed a picture of it on ABID - http://www.aviceda.org/abid/birdimages.php?p=6&action=birdimage&bid=297&fid=27&pagesize=1 . It's a grainy pic, but it does show the underparts (the parts of a nightjar you don't normally see when it is roosting on the ground).

Regards, Laurie.