birding-aus

Oriental Plovers @ Long Reef

To: Nikolas Haass <>,
Subject: Oriental Plovers @ Long Reef
From: Joshua Bergmark <>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:31:58 +1100
Unfortunately the rouge tennis-ball chasing dog only flushed the Orientals,
and this bird remained firmly on the ground - thus we didn't even see the
armpits and had no reason to question or initial Grey Plover ID until we
got home, let alone consider AGP. The 12 PGPs that Mark saw yesterday were
gone, and it was only the 3 birds (2 Oriental and this one). In the field,
it didn't seem to look or behave like a PGP, and we misinterpreted the size
of the bill, which lead to us being so confident on Grey. I completely
agree now that it is a golden plover, and yes, PGP of course much more
probable. I have never seen this plumage state before though - is it age
related (eg: a young bird), or just an a-typical moult?

Cheers,
Joshua Bergmark