birding-aus

Mystery booming, Wilsons Promontory (Vic)

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Mystery booming, Wilsons Promontory (Vic)
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 21:35:43 +1000
At Five Mile Rd at Wilsons Promontory recently, I recorded a booming call. Just
three of them, a couple of seconds apart. It's very swampy there, so I'm
wondering if it could be a bittern. Can someone please have a listen and check
for me? It's at:
https://soundcloud.com/petershute/file-mile-rd-booming

It might also be an Emu, there were plenty around, but I'm not that familiar
with the call. Anything else it might be?

Note that the frogs are very loud in the background, so be prepared if you've
turned the volume up.

Peter Shute