birding-aus

Round Hill to Cocaparra

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Round Hill to Cocaparra
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 15:25:24 +1000
Finished off some very good birding in Round Hill NR by adding Pallid Cuckoo,
Fantail Cuckoo, Cockatiel, Grey Butcherbird, Australian Raven.

Picked up a pair of Australian Shelduck on L. Cargelligo, but could not see our
way into the SWT.  Very windy all day, Thursday.

Tried to access Cocoparra NP from the north, via the stock route.  Eventually
pulled out and returned to the main road to Griffith, because I was not
prepared to tackle a long stretch of muddy water with very deep wheel tracks
through it.  However, it was worthwhile because we had flocks of White-winged
Triller and Crimson Chat, our first Mulga Parrots for the trip, and a
Horsfields Bronze Cuckoo on the ground close to a Black-eared Cuckoo.  We
managed a number of photos of each and a couple that show both in the same
photo.

The Black-eared Cuckoo was welcome after only seeing our first last year after
25 years of serious birding.

Flocks of White-winged Trillers have been seen south of Barradine, Murda SF and
now today, as well as several other places on since Barradine.

Driving through Round Hill NR Wednesday afternoon was like going through a mob
of cattle on the road as 50+ Common Bronzewings and 3 Bar-shouldered Doves just
ambled out of the way or flew a bit further forward only to keep us slowed down.

Peter and Bev Morgan