birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant, Werribee

To: Hans Gmail <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
From: Russ <>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 12:33:07 +1000
Hi Hans

I was at WTP very briefly yesterday on the way to work - about an hour all
up, driving in past Avalon Airport and back the same way. I didn't see any
of those birds, but I've seen them all except the bushlark in the last few
visits.

Shelduck - almost anywhere on the larger ponds, but they are often on the
big lagoon on the right as you enter T-Section (some maps show this as
Summer Lagoon). Cape Barren Goose often there as well  - Paradise Rd is
another spot for CBG.
Banded Lapwing -  most reliable spot is on the north side of Beach Road
between the airport and Pt Wilson Rd, usually in the driest paddocks. I had
a very quick look yesterday and didn't see any, but they are usually there.
BTNHen and Blue-winged Parrot can turn up anywhere. I've seen the parrots
recently on Beach Rd near Pt Wilson Rd junction, and along 29 Mile Rd
between there and T-Section gate (Gate 1).
Fieldwren - again, found in most places, but often seen on fences along 29
Mile Rd, especially near Gate 2 (Western Lagoons) and beside the track
going south from Kirk's Point  - this is very muddy at the moment and I
wouldn't attempt it in anything but a high 4WD. In fact all the tracks
around the southern end of L Borrie were very muddy yesterday and I
wouldn't use any of the minor tracks in a 2WD. The wind today may dry
things out but we may get more rain as well.

There has been a Broad-billed Sandpiper around but I haven't seen it.
Pacific Golden Plover was seen at the Kirk Pt boatramp earlier this week.

Hopefully some other can offer better tips!

Cheers

Russell Woodford
Geelong