birding-aus

Upcoming Ashmore trip needs two more birders

To: <>
Subject: Upcoming Ashmore trip needs two more birders
From: "John Weigel" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:02:38 +1000
Hi folks,

Whilst I'm very excited about the fast-approaching 20 - 28 October Ashmore
Reef trip with George Swan, Rohan Clarke and Mike Carter, there are two
recent cancellations that need to be filled.  I was on last year's Ashmore
Reef trip - which was quite simply incredible.  Visiting the remote islands
of Ashmore and Lacepedes off the northwest coast was as close to a David
Attenborough-like exploration of unspoilt nature as is possible.  The trip
report at found here:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2012-11/msg000
38.html  gives only a tantalising glimpse of the magic we experienced, from
10's of thousands of Roseate Terns roosting in a scrum surrounded by equal
numbers of Noddies and  Boobies, to seabird rarities like Swinhoes and
Matsudaira's Storm-petrels, to daily searches for vagrants on West Island,
Ashmore.  The diversity of cetaceans seen at close quarters was worthy of
the cost, and the camaraderie and regularity of high-fives was great.

It looks like two cancellations can be a godsend to the right
person(s)/couple.  If you've never done this trip, can afford it, and are
able to ship out on 20th October, you'd be nuts not to go for it. Contact
George at  .

John Weigel