birding-aus

Night-herons at Caulfield Park

To: <>
Subject: Night-herons at Caulfield Park
From: Debbie Lustig <>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 17:43:28 +1000
Caulfield Park is not noted as a biodiversity hot spot. There's a small
ornamental lake with an island in the middle, and a selection of waterfowl,
most of which are Greylag Geese.

So I'd be interested in peoples' take on the six Nankeen Night herons
roosting above the lake today, most of which had nuchal plumes. I've seen a
juvenile once but to my knowledge, they don't breed here. Do both sexes have
plumes or just males? Might this be a bunch of guys hanging out waiting for
the ladies to show?