birding-aus

the fire hazard reduction program

To: Peter Madvig <>, Frank O'Connor <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: the fire hazard reduction program
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 07:00:37 +0930
I agree.

Did you watch Jennie Brockie's "Insight" on cats (on SBS earlier this year)?
One woman rescued feral cats, fed and treated their ailments, and then let
them go.

Many people are passionate about cats, more so than they appear to be about
native wildlife.

As for feral livestock  eg pigs buffalo, horses etc - they were first
released in the Top End when early white settlements  failed. And when
cattle stations were absorbed into Kakadu, the same thing happened (at least
with horses).

You might have heard of the "eco resort" established near Pine Creek, NT.
The attraction wasn't iconic avifauana such as Hooded Parrot, but feral
horses.  Millions of dollars were raised throughout Europe by a Swiss-owned
charity (forget the name) to catch feral horses and truck them in, to live
out their lives in Hooded Parrot and Gouldian Finch country.  And as the
place was labelled an "eco resort" tour authorities and operators fell for
it!

Denise