birding-aus

The Election, Conservation & Everything

To: <>
Subject: The Election, Conservation & Everything
From: Debbie Lustig <>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 08:08:11 +1000
For what it's worth, I would ask people to read the letter on this blog
(address below) and send it to their local candidates, and to the Minister
for the Environment and to the Shadow Minister for the Environment. It asks
the recipient to state what their party will do to ensure threatened species
aren't lost (in a nutshell).

http://savetheobp.blogspot.com.au/

If - by some miracle - someone writes back with anything but spin, please
share it here.

The next government may well preside over at least one extinction in the
wild. I would suggest it's time to get together and become more effective
lobbyists.  We've got nothing to lose and several bird species to lose.

Here's a few words from our future environment minister, Greg Hunt, provided
to me. I make no comment.

"Under Labor there has been a lack of focus on outcomes when it comes to
protecting Australia's threatened and endangered species.  Plenty of plans
have been produced, but too often they have sat on shelves.  Our goal is to
put a greater emphasis on ensuring that programs deliver - that we can
reduce the number of species which are threatened and endangered.  This is
the direct and practical approach the Coalition takes to environmental
management.

The Threatened Species Commissioner would be an appointment within the
Department and funded from within the Department.

There would be three roles for the Commissioner:
*         Preparation of Threatened Species Plans
*         Implementation of Threatened Species Plans
*         Monitoring such plans

It is about ensuring practical leadership on outcomes.  At the moment there
is a lack of doing - plenty of planning - but little action and all the time
the number of endangered and threatened species increases."