birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 26 Aug 2013 06:16:31 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 25 Aug 2013.

Sun 25 Aug Cattle Egret Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Single Cattle Egret amongst the cows on Paradise Road, near the gate before the ford over Little River.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Freckled Duck Woodlands Industrial Estate, Braeside
A flock of around 15 Freckled ducks arrived late in the afternoon to join four Hardheads.
Mel Mitchell and Joy Sanderson

Glossy ibis Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
3 glossy ibis feeding in shallow water on far right at Borrow Pits. Sea-eagle chased off by little ravens. One male flame robin and a cape barren goose at lake Borrie. Brolga at end of public access on Point Wilson road.
Fiona Parkin & Jon Thornton

Pacific Golden-Plover, Red-capped Robin Cheetham Wetlands (Altona Meadows)
On the monthly Birdlife Survey for Melbourne Water, we recorded a single Pacific Golden Plover with the much-reduced Double-banded Plover flock(12 birds), the female-type Red-capped Robin in the same spot as it was seen in July - at entrance gate near Pt Cook Homestead, a single Blue-winged Parrot (only one recorded all winter), 2 Black-tailed Godwit still at Laverton Creek mouth and Banded Stilts down to 40 birds.
Steve Davidson & David Richardson

Sat 24 Aug Budgerigar Lake Boort Wildlife Reserve
Flock of about 6 flushed from roadside grass as I drove past - later seen with binoculars. Also pair of White-bellied Sea-eagles.
Malcolm Cousland

Fan-talied Cuckoo Springs Rd, Sedgewick
Heard calling on private property. First I've seen or heard this spring in the Bendigo area.
Rustem Upton

Fri 23 Aug Barn Owl Bulleen
Barn Owl (1) Still roosting in the tree across the road daily. Cattle Egret (1) Good views, feeding in grass in Banksia Park near boundary of Heide Museum. Took flight when it sighted me. Small and compact with yellow bill. Presumably headed for the paddocks in Yarra Flats.
Owen Lishmund

Wed 21 Aug Waders Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Numbers of waders are returning to The Spit with at least 500 Red-necked Stint, 7 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper in breeding plumage, 12 Curlew Sandpiper and a Broad-billed Sandpiper with some vestigial breeding color. The Marsh Sandpiper remains at Paradise Rd Lagoon. There are still over 100 Blue-winged Parrot present, some of which seemed to be courting with pairs chasing each other in high towering flights. Elsewhere there were increasing numbers of Fairy & Tree Martin, as well as a few more Aus Shelduck, and a nice pair of Peregrine Falcon actively hunting over 55E Lagoon/270S Borrow Pit area, the tiercel clearly a lot smaller than his missus..
Steve Davidson

Wed 21 Aug Fan-tailed Cuckoo Point Lonsdale
The cuckoos are arriving. A Fan-tailed Cuckoo was seen and heard in the grounds of the Lonsdale Golf Club.
Rod Corinaldi

Osprey Point Nepean National Park
1 osprey on the point Black browed albatross And Shy albatross in good numbers in the rip
Keith Caldecott,Andrew Maltman

Tue 20 Aug Pallid Cuckoo Major Plains
Pallid Cuckoo (1) first return for spring, seen by the Dookie-Devenish Road.
Michael Ramsey

Latham's Snipe Cheltenham Rd Retarding Basin, Keysborough
Latham's Snipe (2) First sighted overhead, they landed about 50 yards from me. I had excellent views of one after they landed. They flushed on my return trip, landing on the other side of the basin. They're back!
David Fleming

Mon 19 Aug Laughing Kookaburra Treasury Gardens, Melbourne
A pair of Laughing Kookaburras seem to be nesting in the Canary Island Palm bedide the sculpture of John Cain, outside the Education Department offices in Treasury Place. They have been visiting a hole in the palm for a few days and have been observed entering and leaving. I see this species around the city from time to time, but I have never recorded them nesting so close to Melbourne CBD.
John Barkla

Australian Magpie (Leucistic) Forest Road, Modewarre
Leucistic magpie seen in paddock with 2 other magpies.
Rodney Long

White-bellied Sea-eagle Truganina Swamp (Altona)
On a very cold and windy morning at the swamp, single immature WBSE flew over then climbed high and out of sight. Other raptors seen this morning in short order, Swamp Harrier, Wedge-tailed Eagle ,Brown Falcon, Australian Kestrel, Black-shouldered Kite and Australian Hobby.
David A Richardson

Black Kite Sugarloaf Reservoir Park

Chris Field

Sun 18 Aug Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Shy Albatross, Black-browed Albatross. Pt Lonsdale Lighthouse.
Cuckoo briefly heard calling in Lighthouse reserve; 16:00. Also 20 Shy Albatross and 15 Black-browed Albatross offshore and a few Black-faced Cormorants and Fluttering Shearwaters.
Craig Morley

Blue-faced Honeyeater Royal Melbourne Zoo, Parkville
Saw a (wild) Blue-faced Honeyeater on the outside of the Great Aviary, presuming this is the same one thats been reported, no leg banding as shown on all captive birds, was trying to interact with a captive blue-faced honeyeater on the inside of the aviary!
Philip Peel

Sat 17 Aug Whistling Kite Elster Creek, Elwood
A fantastic day at Elster Creek! 3 Whistling Kites were circling around this highly urban area for at least half an hour. I have never seen a Whistling Kite here before, let alone 3! Other sightings of local significance today included probably more than 750 Little Black Cormorants, 120 Australasian Gannets and 200 Crested Terns feeding off Elwood. Also 3 Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike in Elsternwick Park.
Gio Fitzpatrick

Horsfield's bronze cuckoo Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Sighted on the foreshore near the outflow of Lake Borrie.
Tim Van Leeuwen

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.