birding-aus

Where have all my Mynas gone?

To: "'Carl Clifford'" <>, "'Birding-Aus Aus'" <>
Subject: Where have all my Mynas gone?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:36:36 +1000
Well of course there has been a huge decline in Canberra. That is largely
due to a huge trapping exercise over the past several years. See
indianmynaaction.org.au and for example click on the link of "Chart of myna
numbers". That data comes from Canberra Ornithologists Group's Garden Bird
Survey (the survey is explained in my book  "Canberra Birds: A Report on the
first 21 years of the Garden Bird Survey" - noting that the decline has
happened after the data in my book)

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Carl Clifford
Sent: Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:43 AM   To: Birding-Aus Aus     Subject:
[Birding-Aus] Where have all my Mynahs gone?

Over the last few months, I have noticed first a decline in numbers of
Common Mynahs around my patch in Gorokan, Central Coast NSW. At the
beginning of the year, you could usually find one or two at any one time,
some times up to ten or so in the yard. Similar numbers could also be found
in the neighborhood. Now, there are none to be found. There have been no
great environmental changes in the area, apart from the nearby motel
removing a number of cocos palms and heavily lopping the fronds from the
remainder.

Anyone seen similar drops in Common Mynahs in their area?

I am not concerned, just curious.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford