birding-aus

Fabulous views of Short-tailed Grasswrens

Subject: Fabulous views of Short-tailed Grasswrens
From: Peter Waanders <>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 21:40:34 +0930
Hi all
Today we had fabulous views of a pair of Short-tailed Grasswrens in the
Flinders Ranges. Yesterday morning we located them and even though it was
very windy and at times drizzly, one bird sang at times. This morning we
returned to the site in an attempt to video the birds. Calm, blue skies
awaited us, so after scraping the ice off the car we decided to capture the
sunrise and some kangaroos first, as Grasswrens don't like the cold. We
commenced the search around 8am and quickly re-located the pair. We got
some great footage as the birds went about their business seemingly unaware
of our presence: foraging, singing and even collecting nest material.
The Flinders Ranges are looking great at present, following good rainfall
in the last few months. In total contract to last year, it's now very
green, creeks are flowing and wildflowers are coming out. The same can be
said for the surrounding outback. Things may be in drought in interior Qld,
outback SA is looking forward to a promising spring.
cheers
Peter

 ----

Peter Waanders