birding-aus

need for reserve for rare Sunshine Coast birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: need for reserve for rare Sunshine Coast birds
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:56:38 +1000
I have today written the following letter to Sunshine Coast Mayor Mark
Jamieson about the need to protect former cane farmland as a reserve for
rare and threatened bird species in the region. Anyone wishing to do the
same can email Mayor Jamieson at

Mayor Jamieson,

I draw your attention to the urgent need for the Sunshine Coast Regional
Council to give consideration to the acquisition of privately owned former
cane farmland for environment purposes.

There presently exists on the market an excellent property on River Road,
Yandina Creek, that would make an ideal wildlife reserve.

Several rare and threatened bird species have adapted to the grasslands and
wetlands created in areas once planted with cane. Many of these species once
occupied the wallum heaths and swamplands that originally occurred in the
region. We have a unique opportunity to restore much of the fauna that
formerly frequented the Maroochy River flatlands.

My understanding is that the council has dismissed suggestions for the
property acquisition in River Road because the land is not natural and is
human-modified. There are numerous examples around Australia and the world
of excellent wildlife reserves being created from human-modified land. There
is no reason to believe that cannot be the case here.

In the property presently for sale in River  Road, I have recorded rare and
difficult-to-find birds such as Eastern Grass Owl, Lewin's Rail, Spotless
Crake, Brolga, Black-necked Stork, Black-tailed Native-hen and Australian
Painted Snipe.

There has been some media coverage of this issue:

http://tinyurl.com/q5r2nc9

I have also written about some of the damaging developments that have taken
place in the area:

http://tinyurl.com/olnqwse

Unfortunately, my representations to your council's environmental officers
have been ignored.

I hope you will give urgent consideration to council acquiring the property
available for sale before the opportunity is lost.

Greg Roberts