birding-aus

Golden Bowerbirds, Grass Owl and other Tablelands sightings

To: "Birding" <>
Subject: Golden Bowerbirds, Grass Owl and other Tablelands sightings
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:06:15 +1000
Greetings,
Yesterday, 29th July, at Mt Hypipamee in the car park there were two male
Golden Bowerbirds, at least 6 Toothbill Bowerbirds, 1 male and 3 female type
Satin Bowerbirds and 3 Spotted Catbirds all feeding on Cryptocarya
onoprienkoana. A female Cassowary came out of the forest too. This is a
different bird I believe from the young one which was unusually hanging around
with her dad two years ago, years after they are normally dispersed. I am not
sure that this previous young female is still around as I have not seen her
since late last year. There are three chicks with the old male and a young bird
from his previous brood in the park. Quite a high density of animals for this
altitude in the last twenty years.

The new golden bird at the site 3.2 kilometres south of the Crater has not yet
resumed working on his bower since the cold miserable weather caused them to
abandon work two weeks ago. Other birds have resumed but not with any great
vigour yet.

About 50 Australian Pratincole are feeding on the eastern end of Forsayth Road
off Marks Lane. Up to six Bustards are being seen around there as well. The
quick turn around of fields for cropping is disrupting the usual habits of both
crane species as the old maze and peanut paddocks are not lying fallow for long.

Fewer ducks on Hasites Swamp this week but still more than a thousand Plumed
Whistle Ducks. The lone Freckled Duck seems to be copping a lot of flack from
his smaller compatriots and is more often being seem by himself on small
perches. Southern end still the best place to search. The Shovellers were not
seen by me or my crew in the last few days.

A flock of about 30 Barred Cuckoo-shrike were seen flying into a large paddock
fig south of the Curtain Fig yesterday. They were joined by 50+ Figbirds and a
few Fig-Parrots until two Spotted Harriers went over, sending the lot of them
into the air.

Last night we saw a Grass Owl chasing a bat above the forested road at the
Curtain Fig. Admittedly it was close to the edge and the bird turned and flew
out of the forest once the small bat with a white belly made it into some dense
vegetation. We had great views with the bird flying towards us, over our heads
at 10 metres, slightly past us to where the bat escaped and then turning
abruptly to fly back where it had come from. Does anyone have a comment on the
chasing of the bat? It got very close to catching it on two occasions.

Regards,
Alan

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road