birding-aus

Port Fairy Latham's Snipe

To: "" <>
Subject: Port Fairy Latham's Snipe
From: Janine Duffy <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:17:26 +1000
Dear Birding-Aus

No doubt you all know about the recent decision of Moyne Shire to uphold the development approval on the Powling St wetland, Port Fairy, home to large numbers of Latham's Snipe.

As a tour operator, we have in the past taken people to Port Fairy to enjoy the wildlife, including the Latham's Snipe.  This decision has disgusted us so thoroughly that we plan to boycott the town in future if this development goes ahead.  Not only that, we plan to share this information with our tourism contacts around the world.

Further, we plan to contact Tourism Victoria and Tourism Australia to inform them, and see if they can add anything to this discussion.  We will then write to Moyne Council, and copy in local businesses that we have worked with.

Does anyone out there have any idea of how many birdwatchers visit Port Fairy?  How much business will be lost if birders boycott the town?  I know there is a lovely pelagic trip that operates off Port Fairy, and I hate to adversely affect that.  Please let me know your thoughts.

This decision is of massive import to all wildlife.  If we let this go through, what hope is there for any vulnerable species?

Thanks in advance, Janine
--

JANINE DUFFY Director Marketing ECHIDNA WALKABOUT PO Box 370 Port Melbourne,  Victoria  3207  AUSTRALIA
E:      Web: www.echidnawalkabout.com.au