birding-aus

Night Parrots of the past

To: Peter Shute <>,
Subject: Night Parrots of the past
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:00:53 +1000
Hi Peter

You may be right, but the call of the BSC (not Black-shouldered Kite BSK I
presume!) is exactly a "peculiar whistling call" to the ears of a
non-naturalist/birder I'd have thought. In any case, the newspaper accounts
are so vague as to be unreliable at best and have great capacity to
mislead. As far as the NP calls, we'll have to wait for someone other than
JY to reveal them I'm pretty sure :-)  I've certainly heard the odd
'interesting' sound at night within NP range, but wouldn't be brave enough
to make the connection ...

Lawrie