birding-aus

HBW "Live" online web version, being updated/transformed...

To: "" <>
Subject: HBW "Live" online web version, being updated/transformed...
From: colin trainor <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:14:27 +0930
Hi -

The 17 vol Handbook to the birds of the World comprising c.15 million words,
20,617 bird figures, 10,200 maps, c.100,000 bibliographical references is now
being updated and is available online from last week:

If anyone who has publications, photos, videos or other knowledge you think
missing from the book series, it might be worth making it available to
the"updaters".

Check the Promotion video and brochure on this page:
http://www.lynxeds.com/content/hbw-alive-entire-contents-hbw-your-fingertips

Some useful discussion on Birdforum - I've stolen two quotes there from Richard
Klim the start of the updates:

"Incidentally, with further use, I must say that I'm hugely impressed by
many of the species updates.  Guy Kirwan's updates in particular have
completely transformed some of the earlier accounts.  The Update History
 version comparison for (eg) White-headed Duck dramatically illustrates
how much detail has been added, including numerous additional
references.  It's  clear that owners of the printed volumes will greatly
 benefit from subscribing..."

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=238858&page=2

"Another extremely impressive example is the species account update (yesterday)
for Black-browed Albatross...1992 (HBW 1): account text = 571 words,
bibliography = 40 references

2013 (HBW Alive): account text = 4,454 words (+680%), bibliography = 217
references (+440%)A graphic illustration of the possibilities for much greater
detail
 when freed from the physical size (and cost) limitations of a printed
work."

Colin