birding-aus

Information on Northern Shoveler

To: <>
Subject: Information on Northern Shoveler
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:25:46 +1000
Dear Birders,
Many thanks to those who provided information on the Northern Shoveler at the
WTP Werribee. I went in to the plant yesterday (16 July 2013) and saw the bird
with a fairly large group (>50) Australian Shovelers on the Western side of of
the Northern end of Lake Borrie. As others have commented the bird is very easy
to pick up when seen side on or from the front but seems to disappear when seen
from behind due to the similarity with the AS from that aspect. My first
circuit of the various ponds on which the bird has been seen failed to find it
despite a careful scan of the flock of AS on Lake Borrie. A second circuit at
about 1:40 turned up the bird in great light and at about 100m distance.

Many thanks also to the staff at Melbourne Water who allowed me to do the
induction on a non-standard day and at a non-standard time. They were all very
helpfull to in view of the fact that I was flying in from Sydney on a day when
the fares were at their cheapest.
regards
Peter Marsh